Yungsum Farm experience
(Nivalink Trip Dated - 26 March 2010)
Yungsum Farm is an experiential homestay experience where one gets to stay with the hosts, enjoy rural backdrop and explore activities & area around.
The heritage farmhouse was built in 1833 and remodeled in 1966. It is run by Thendup Tashi, Dorjee Laden, and Pema Chiki, of the Tsechu Tharpa family. They manage the 44 acre organic mountain farm which consists of open mixed forest of pine, Himalayan alder, schima, chestnut, magnolia, rhododendrons, cherry etc. In addition to these, seasonal vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes and peas are also grown.
* White water Rafting
* Cooking - Traditional recipes and cooking methods of Sikkim on a wood burning hearth.
* Monastery tour (Pemayangtse, Sacred lake of Khechopalri, Dubdi monastery, Tashiding monastery)
Trekking Routes that can be pursued
* Yuksom-Dzongri-Gochela – Famous Dzongri route covering 9 days
* Rabongla to Maenam, 10km - A three hour trek uphill from Rabongla through the Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary
* Hilley to Varsay, (8km return) - One has to trek for four kms that takes approximately one hour to reach Varsey (3049m (10000ft)). At Varsay the rhododendrons reign supreme and during the month of March they are a riot of red and white.
* Many other treks can be arranged in the immediate area of Rinchenpong and further afield at Yoksum.
* Yungsum Farm is for nature lovers, those who like ethnic stays. Homestays, ethnic cuisine and trekking. Yungsum Farm is a recommended option for those who travel for the sheer experience of the area.
Recommended stay duration – 3 nights Season – Oct – May
- Yangsum Heritage Farm is recommended as Experiential and offbeat traveller stays in Sikkim