Nazarani Tharavad Homestay Experience
(Nivalink Trip Dated - 14 April 2008)
Nazarani Tharavad is a Syrian Christian ancestral home at Pala. It is the ancestral home of the Kottukapally family and has been built, expanded and restored in Kerala, Dutch and Spanish architectural styles over period of 250 years. Nazarani Tharavad is a celebrated experiential heritage home and popular with inbound groups stopping over for an authentic Syrian catholic luncheon.
The home stay offers two rooms accompanied. The Homestay is renowned for its 7-course sit down dinner reminiscent of colonial era as well as authentic traditional Nazarani lunch on banana leaf with vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
During a stay guests can explore the area in may ways:
* Browse through the extensive family library with books dating back 200 years and centuries old Palm Leaf documents.
* Experience millennium-old style of living, observe the collection of cooking and other utensils – the enormous bell-metal 'varpu' that cooks food for 300 people, needs 4 strong men to lift and still in use for family functions, the variegated assembly of brass oil lamps and boxes and the unforgettable parade of 'kindis' - the ancient predecessor to the washbasin faucet.
* Walk through the ancient Tharavad (traditional house) and observe the intricacies of the Kerala architecture. Enjoy your reading in the Reading Room of the traditional house.
* Discover the art of traditional Kerala cookery through detailed demonstration.
* Fish in the Pond behind the house using the traditional fishing rod – “choonda”.
* Enjoy the company of the family and learn more about Kerala tradition and history and enjoy a barbeque in the evening with them.
There are many outdoor activities such as a farm visit as well to pursue.
Nazarani Tharavad has been a popular luncheon stopover for inbound groups and an excellent base to explore Syrian Christian heritage of the area.
Recommended Stay: 2-3 nights
- Nazarani Tharavad is recommended as Plantation Bungalows and Homestays around Kottayam District