Sigiriya is categorised as Heritage
Reasons to Visit
- Sigiriya is located in the Central Province of Sri Lanka in an area dominated by a massive column of rock nearly 200 meters high.
- According to the ancient Sri Lankan chronicle the Culavamsa the site was selected by King Kasyapa (477 – 495 AD) for his new capital. He built his palace on the top of this rock and decorated its sides with colourful frescoes. On a small plateau about halfway up the side of this rock he built a gateway in the form of an enormous lion and now called Lion rock.
- Sigiriya today is a UNESCO listed World Heritage Site. It is one of the best preserved examples of ancient urban planning.
- Sigiriya is the most visited historic and heritage site in Sri Lanka.
- Sigiriya bears resemblance with is the Ajanta Caves near Aurangabad in India
- Nearest Airport -Colombo (185 kms)
Hotels approved and listed with Nivalink
1 verified holiday itineraries are listed for Sigiriya
|Holiday (7 or more)||1|
Click here - For reviewing summary, detailed itinerary, route map, access points, expert comments, departure dates (where applicable), rates and customisation options
- The Serendipity Tour (7 Nights)
For an itinerary customised to your tastes and preferences email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel planners.
For any other transport services for
email to email@example.com
or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel assistants.
Add Ons approved and listed with Nivalink.
2 Travel Ideas listed for Sigiriya. Click here for reviewing them.
- Travel to Sri Lanka – Summary in a nutshell
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
For expert insights and recommendations - email to