Nako is categorised as Lakeside / Remote Himalayas
Reasons to Visit
- Nako lies in Upper Kinnaur on the edge of remote spiti valley and an important centre of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Nako has seven temples of different periods distributed all over the village, including a monastic complex on its western edge.
- Nako is situated right on the Tibetan border over a beautiful lake.
- Drive to Nako and the evening and morning views of the lake and surrounding snow peaks is simply stunning.
- Nako lies enroute from Sangla to Kaza and is a recommended stopover
- Nako is accessible during June-Sept period and remains inaccessible for rest of the year
- Transit Destinations on the Shimla - Sangla - Kinnaur - Spiti Valley Route"Nako (11000+ ft asl - 128 kms from Sangla) in Upper Kinnaur is located right on the edge of Indo -Tibetan border and can be considered one of the most remote villages in India. Nako has a lakeside character offering Himalayan views and a remote Tibetan Buddhist village character. It is a popular stopover before guests can move to Tabo (63 kms) and Kaza (110 kms) areas of Spiti Valley."
- Significant Pilgrimages of Sangla-Kinnaur and Spiti Valley"Nako (10500 ft asl) is a stopover on the Sangla - Kaza route. Nako monastery here is very significant for followers of Dalai Lama of Tibet. Nako is also the starting point of an ancient trek route originally Buddhist monks used to take traveling between different monasteries in the region. Nako is a popular stopover enroute Kaza."
- Remote Himalayan Destinations for Experiential Travellers"Nako (11000 ft asl) in Upper Kinnaur lies on the edge of Indo - Tibet border area and is one of the remotest villages in India. Nako is set on a lake, having charming monasteries and ever smiling villagers. Nako is best visited as a stopover on Sangla - Tabo / Kaza Route and is also part of ancient trekking route of the Buddhist Lamas."
- Nako does not have any major Airport or Railway Station nearby. Therefore its possible it is a remote destination and is required to visit as a part of an itinerary.
- Nearest destination to Nako is Tabo (53 kms)
Hotels approved and listed with Nivalink
|Type of Hotels||Count|
|Adventure / Camp||1|
For Reviewing all Nako Hotels, rates, offers and making online reservation requests Click here
1 verified holiday itineraries are listed for Nako
|Holiday (7 or more)||1|
Click here - For reviewing summary, detailed itinerary, route map, access points, expert comments, departure dates (where applicable), rates and customisation options
- Sangla Valley - Spiti Valley (9 Nights)
For an itinerary customised to your tastes and preferences email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel planners.
For any other transport services for
email to email@example.com
or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel assistants.
Add Ons approved and listed with Nivalink.
3 Travel Ideas listed for Nako. Click here for reviewing them.
- High Altitude Monasteries in Nako
- Nako Experience
- Sangla-Tabo-Kaza Driving Experience
For expert insights and recommendations - email to