Meghamalai is categorised as Plantations
Reasons to Visit
- Meghamalai is a remote tea plantation getaway set on the Tamilnadu side of Periyar reserve
- Meghamalai is totally cut off being surrounded by Meghamalai Wildlife Sanctuary and Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and excellent for trekking, bird watching or just a totally cut off / off-beat stay.
- Meghamalai area is full of tea, coffee and cardamom plantations with a bit of pepper and cinnamon as well. Woodbriar Tea Estate has over 6000 acres of tea plantations and is home to one of the largest tea factories in Asia.
- Meghamalai forest area Resident and migratory elephants are common. Other animal population comprise tiger (rarely sighted), leopard, Nilgiri tahr, gaur, spotted deer, barking deer, sambar, wild boar, porcupine, Nilgiri langur, lion-tailed macaque, common langur, bonnet macaque, sloth bear, Grey Junglefowl, Smooth-coated Otter and flying squirrel. The sanctuary is also home to the endangered, arboreal Grizzled Giant Squirrel Ratufa macrora.
- At Meghamalai 100 species of birds have been identified. The rare Great Indian Hornbills are found here. One of the rarest fruit bats of the world, Salim Ali's Fruit Bat is only found in this mountain range.
- Entire Meghamalai has very limited rooms to rent and therefore early reservation is a must
- Nature centric Destinations in Tamil Nadu offering Bird watching"Meghamalai (85 kms from Thekkady) is spread over hectres of isolated tea plantations offering an exclusive experience. Over 100 species of birds have been identified around here. Great Indian Hornbills are found here. One of the rarest fruit bats of the world, Salim Ali's Fruit Bat is only found here. Wildlife such as Wildlife elephants, Indian Gaur, Barking deer is commonly sighted. Tea plantation bungalows for stay here enhance the overall experience."
- Destinations in South India offering Tea Plantation Experience"Meghamalai (4500+ ft asl, 85 kms from Thekkady and 125 kms from Madurai) is a large Tea Estate area and an exclusive Tea Estate area having a few tea plantation bungalows around it. The heritage bungalows have an offbeat character and offer walks, treks and bird watching around it. "
- Nearest Airport -Madurai (125 kms), Cochin (Ernakulam) (220 kms), Trichy (223 kms)
- Nearest Railway Station - Kodai Road (106 kms), Madurai (125 kms), Dindigul (150 kms)
- Meghamalai is an Ex-Madurai / Ex-Kottayam / Ex-Cochin (Ernakulam) / Ex-Trichy / Ex-Kollam / Ex-Trichur / Ex-Coimbatore / Ex-Trivandrum / Ex-Calicut / Ex-Mysore / Ex-Bangalore / Ex-Chennai Getaway
Hotels approved and listed with Nivalink
|Type of Hotels||Count|
For Reviewing all Meghamalai Hotels, rates, offers and making online reservation requests Click here
There are no Holiday found for Meghamalai
For an itinerary customised to your tastes and preferences email to
email@example.com or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel planners.
For any other transport services for
email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel assistants.
Add Ons approved and listed with Nivalink.
2 Travel Ideas listed for Meghamalai. Click here for reviewing them.
- Bird Watching at Meghamalai
- Meghamalai – A Plantation Bungalow experience
For expert insights and recommendations - email to