Matheran is categorised as Hill Station
Reasons to Visit
- Matheran (2500 ft) is located on off the Mumbai-Pune Route and also accessible by Train (a heritage train) via Neral.
- Matheran is perhaps the only hill station in India that still does not allow cars and guests even today take a horseback ride or a hand rickshaw ride like they used to do in 1930s.
- Matheran is choice of Hikers and Trekkers who arrive here every weekend from different routes around.
- Matheran wears a thick evergreen forest like character and excellent those who like walking around
- Matheran has been a renowned Summer destinations for tourists around Gujarat and Maharashtra
- During monsoon it really rains hard here and the whole Matheran area is enveloped in thick mist
- From a pure rainforest and ecology point of view, Matheran is one to behold and it’s a delight for those who wish to study bugs, butterflies and all kinds of tiny little reptiles and creatures
- Popular Hill Stations of India"Matheran (2500+ ft ) is a Hill station in Maharashtra where time has stood still. Motorised vehicles are not allowed and one is required to walk or take a horse back to move around the hill station. Matheran offers view points, walking trails, heritage train and old world charm."
- Colonial Heritage Hill Stations of India"British build Matheran as a summer retreat in mid-19th Century. The The Matheran Hill Railway was built in 1907 and its a UNESCO site and a tourist attraction. Matheran remains steeped in time with no motorised vehicle allowed inside. So handcarts, horses are only means of transport, otherwise walking is most popular. There are 3rd Generation Hotelier running Lords Hotel, Same Regal hotel is running since 1930s and much of Matheran remains unchanged even after British having left many decades ag"
- Hill Stations in West and Central India"Matheran (2500 ft asl) is a renowned Hill station at 100 kms from Mumbai / Pune and kind of place that has not changed much with time. It does not allow motorised vehicles and still feels like it was in 1930s. Matheran is full of wooded walks, view points, a lake and some charming bungalows and a visited from travellers from Maharashtra and Gujarat all round the year. "
- Destinations in Maharashtra to Consider for a Holiday Traveller"Matheran (100 kms from Mumbai) and its small old style hill station appeal draws guests from all over India during holiday season. "
- Heritage Hill Stations to visit for Heritage Train Experience"British built a train from Neral to Matheran in early 1900s. The Train till today is the only motorised means to reach heart of Matheran. The Train journey is recommended for the heritage / Inbound traveller. Total journey time is about 5 hours (Starting 12 noon). Total journey time is about 2 hours (Starting 11:40 AM)."
- Popular Honeymoon Destinations in Maharashtra"Matheran (2500 ft asl) is one of the popular honeymoon destination in Maharashtra because of its ease of access (Suburban trains till Neral - 11 kms from Matheran). Matheran offers good resort like stays, wooded walks, evergreen backdrop and never too crowded. This is ideal for honeymooners looking for a private time."
- Top Monsoon Getaways in Maharashtra"Matheran (2500 ft asl - 100-110 kms from Mumbai / Pune) is a favorite monsoon hiking option for many amateur trekkers as they walk from Neral Station to Matheran while enjoying waterfalls enroute."
- Nearest Airport -Mumbai (100 kms), Pune (120 kms), Nashik (170 kms)
- Nearest Railway Station - Matheran
- Matheran is an Ex-Navi Mumbai / Ex-Thane / Ex-Mumbai / Ex-Pune / Ex-Nashik / Ex-Valsad / Ex-Aurangabad / Ex-Surat / Ex-Kolhapur / Ex-Belgaum / Ex-Vadodara / Ex-Hubli / Ex-Panjim / Ex-Ahmedabad Getaway
Hotels approved and listed with Nivalink
|Type of Hotels||Count|
For Reviewing all Matheran Hotels, rates, offers and making online reservation requests Click here
4 verified holiday itineraries are listed for Matheran
| Getaway (1-3 nights)||2|
| Short Break (4-6 nights)||2|
Click here - For reviewing summary, detailed itinerary, route map, access points, expert comments, departure dates (where applicable), rates and customisation options
- Matheran Break with Della and IMAGICA (3 Nights)
- Matheran Getaway (2 Nights)
- Matheran - Mahabaleshwar Break (5 Nights)
- Matheran - Mahabaleshwar Break with Della and IMAGICA (6 Nights)
For an itinerary customised to your tastes and preferences email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel planners.
Matheran has 9 Transport services that can be booked online. Click here for reviewing and booking them.
Point to Point Transport
|Services||Rates Starting From |
|Car hire - Lonavala to Matheran drop or Vice Versa||Rs. 2112|
|Pickup from Matheran and Drop to Mahabaleshwar||Rs. 7000|
|Pickup from Pune and Drop to Matheran||Rs. 4167|
|Pickup/Drop between Central Mumbai and Matheran||-|
|Pickup/Drop between Mumbai Western Suburbs and Matheran||Rs. 4107|
|Pickup/Drop between Navi Mumbai and Matheran||Rs. 2112|
|Pickup/Drop between South Mumbai and Matheran||Rs. 5868|
|Pickup/Drop between Thane and Matheran||Rs. 4343|
|Transfers between Matheran and Khopoli (IMAGICA)||Rs. 5000|
For any other transport services for
email to email@example.com
or call +91-22-61506363 to speak to our travel assistants.
Add Ons approved and listed with Nivalink.
8 Travel Ideas listed for Matheran. Click here for reviewing them.
- Horse Riding in Matheran
- Matheran Experience
- Matheran Heritage Train
- Matheran in Monsoon
- Matheran Trek Via Dodhani - Karjat - Ex-Mumbai
- Monsoon Getaways of Maharashtra
- Walking trails in Matheran
- Fleetwood House – Heritage Bungalow
For expert insights and recommendations - email to