Wildlife Experience in Corbett Area
Betalghat area where Leopards are found
Corbett is a renowned national park at about 250-280 kms from Delhi and one that offers one of the best getaway / Wildlife / Bird watching experiences in India.
Corbett offers one of the best wildlife experience when compared to all other parks in India. Forest is thick and therefore Tiger sightings are not as prolific as some other parks in Central India except Bijrani and Dhikala area. However the sheer variety of them, the variety of landscapes and size of the park makes it an exciting adventure.
The park is large and divided into many ranges.
* Bijrani Range - Most popular and accessible and around Bijrani many private lodges are situated. (Open Oct - June). Excellent for Tiger Sightings
* Durgadevi Range - Little farther and closer to lodges situated in Marchula, Mohan and Kumaria (Open Oct - June). Good for Bird watching
* Jhirna Range - This is closest in terms of access and open all round the year. Good for Bird watching and wild elephant sightings.
* Dhikala Range - 40 kms from the private lodges and provides the best park experience. Accommodation inside comprises very basic Forest rest houses (FRH). Open Nov-15th to June - 15th.
* Sitabani - This is not officially under any range and therefore any vehicle can be taken. This is generally the last option for those who cant get safari at any oft the above ranges booked. Only recommended for bird watching.
* Betalghat - This area is 25 kms on the Mohan - Ranikhet route and is known for its Leopard population and must for those who want to spot leopards. Night safaris here is an exciting alternative.
As Corbett is a evergreen forest with snowfed rivers surrounding it all over, Tiger sighting in Corbett is good in Bijrani and Dhikala. The diversity of wildlife is so extensive that it may not be a good idea being tiger centric and instead one can expect excellent wildlife experience.
Types of Safaris - Jeep Safaris (Limited jeeps, early booking recommended), Elephant Rides (just a ride in the buffer area), Canter Safaris in Dhikala Zone (Full day Day safari)