Udaipur – Lakeside Heritage Getaway
Udaipur, also known as City Of Lakes and is considered must visit for any heritage traveler for its old city character and is also popular ex- Ahmedabad getaway.
Udaipur wears a pronounced lakeside character and has Two major and one extension lake right in the middle of the city (Pichola, Fatehsagar and Swaroop Sagar).
Area around Lake Pichola is most crowded and has a distinct old city character with narrow bylanes and many a heritage hotels stacked next to each other. A walk in the heritage bylanes is most interesting from shopping and cuisine perspective. A boat ride in the lake gives a magnificent view of the City Palace, Lake palace and Jagmandir Palace alongwith Leela and Oberoi Udaivilas hotels around the area. A visit to city palace museum is quite interesting.
Around Udaipur there are number of excursions that are interesting:
* Sajjangarh Fort (10 kms) – Atop a hill, Excellent views of the city and lakes
* Nathdwara (42 kms) – Revered Krishna Temple
* Eklingji (25 kms) – Shiva and Jain Temples
* Jaisamand (50 kms) – Large man made lake, excellent for bird watching.
* Kunbhalgarh (55 kms) - Heritage Fort. Wildlife sanctuary excellent for bird watching
* Ranakpur (85 kms) – Jain Temple Complex
* Chittorgarh (120 kms) – Large Fort
Guests on an ex-Ahmedabad getaway may prefer to stay at one of the spreadout getaway resorts around Udaipur instead of a lake front hotel (which are preferred more by the heritage travelers). Ex-Ahmedabad guests may also prefer to stay in one of the activity centric retreats on the outskirts as well. Udaipur is also a recommended flight getaway for guests looking to celebrate special occasions.
Recommended Stay Duration – 2-3 nights