Monasteries of West Sikkim
Dubdi Monastery (Photo Courtesy: Kothanda Srinivasan)
Pemanyangtse Monastery (built in early 18th Century) near Pelling (6500+ ft asl) is one of the oldest and most visited monasteries of Sikkim. Most Guests staying at Pelling do a visit to the monastery.
At Yuksom, at about 20 kms from Pelling is Khechopari monastery, an ancient monastery with a very scenic location overlooking a holy lake.
Other prominent monasteries in the area are
* Dubdi Monastery - Built in 1700, located near Yuksum on a hill top, accessible by a walk uphill from a base point.
* Melli Monasery near Yuksum.
* Sinon Monastery, 10 kms. from Tashiding on a hill top.
* Tashiding Monastery at Tashiding, an important monastery belonging to the Nyingmapa order.
* Sanga Chelling Monastery - 7 kms. from Pemayangste and said to be the oldest monastery in Sikkim.
Recommended stay duration – 2 nights Seasonality – Oct – May