Birdwatching in Porbandar
Porbandar is mid-way on Somnath - Dwarka route and birthplace of Father of India, Mahatma Gandhi.
Porbandar has recently got prominence for its bird watching sites as under. (Even though finding a birding guide may be a problem).
- Rann of Chhaya: Situated between Chhaya village and Birla factory. Best place to watch Flamingos. Flamingos have been known to stay back till early June before returning again in November.
- Khadi of Subhashnagar : Tidal waters and forest of mangroves of this unique wetland stretched about 5 kms
- Kuchhadi – Zavar - This is where one finds big birds like cranes, Pelicans, Houbara Bustards and wide ranging migratory birds
- Baradasagar Dam - This is where one finds birds by thousands literally. Big birds, migratory ones and wide ranging resident ones. Excellent site for photographers.
- Gosa - A large wetland where a wide variety of birds are found
- Amipur dam - A potential Ramsar site having wide ranging birds. Excellent site for photographers.
- Vanana: The area is connected with Gosa waters. It is best for watching cranes, ducks, pelicans etc.
- Bird Sanctuary - Right in middle of town centre and least interesting of all sites. It still is home to many birds and therefore worth a visit for a couple of hours.
Porbandar is recommended for experienced bird watchers looking for an experience