/ Nileshwar - Bekal Fort is
located at 65 kms South of Mangalore and is first point of access into
Kerala from Karnataka.
Bekal fort has a
beach alongside and is an idyllic ex-Bangalore getaway and a stopover
destination for a Kerala Itinerary that is ending at Mangalore or Goa.
ahead of Bekal has a beach as well as a backwater stretch where a lot of high end
hotels are coming up.
The area may seem
idyllic having a beach and a backwater stretch but for those who want to
explore there are plenty of options such as
* Anandashram : The
famous Hindu shrine
* Ananthapura Lake Temple: Lake temple of Anantha Padmanabha or Lord Vishnu
* Kanhangad/Hosdurg Fort:: Chain of forts
* Sree Mahalingeswara Temple, Adoor (45 km):
* Kottancherry (30 km from Kanhangad): Rainforests
* Chandragiri: Large 17th century fort built
* Ranipuram : Trekking trails and varied vegetation
* Trikkaripur: The old seat of the Thazhekattu Mana
* Madhur Temple (8 km): The Srimad Anantheswara Vinayaka Temple
* Edneer Mutt (10 km): Renowned as a seat of art and learning belongs to the
* Houseboat ride in backwaters at Nileshwaram
* One can enjoy traditional arts like "Yaksha Gana"(similar to
Kathakali),"Poorakali" and "Kolkali" and martial art
form of Kerala "Kalarippayattu"
- 1 night for a getaway or 2 nights for tourists and a week for ayurveda and
long stay beach stays.
Mangalore Airport is about 80-100 kms away. Madikeri / Siddhapura in
neighboring plantation Highlands of Kodagu (Coorg) district of Karnatala is
just 100-120 kms away. Calicut is about 150-170 kms away via Telicherry and
Kannur on NH-17 (Coastal Highway).
Bekal Fort -
There are homestays, Beach Camp and small resort accommodation at Bekal
Backwaters - On NH-17 (Coastal Highway) there is Nalanda Resort which is a popular
stopover and getaway resort ex-Mangalore.
- Here is where high end resorts are coming up. Nileshwar
Hermitage is one that is positioned for the Inbound segment. The
Lalit Bekal Resort and Spa is one for the elite, aspirational, rich
and the famous.